Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Journal 39 "Bardic Symbols"

"Bardic Symbols" is one of the most mysterious poems by Walt Whitman as no one can truly state the meaning of the Bardic Symbols. It is no one persons job to determine what they stand for and this has created confusion all about the work by Whitman. While there was a lot of confusion revolving around the meaning of the poem, there are still many characteristics that Whitman was popular for. He uses his free verse style and has some stanzas that could be related to Christianity. One line of the poem reads "Kiss me, my father! Touch me with your lips, as I touch those I love! Breathe to me, while I hold you close, the secret of the wondrous murmuring I envy! For I fear I shall become crazed, if I cannot emulate it..." Upon first reading this seems to be directed at the father of the author and his affection, but there is a deeper meaning for God in Christianity. The father obviously represents God, and the author says that he needs the breath of the Father, which symbolizes the need for religion in his life. This is one symbol that a reader can pick out with ease, because Whitman used it so often. Although no one can really pick out and say for sure what the Bardic Symbols actually represent in this poem, the religious symbols are one thing that all readers can agree on. There are many parts of this poem that people are unsure about. Most readers are compelled to try and determine what the symbols of this poem represent, but to no avail as Whitman never gave us the true meaning of the work. This confusion mostly comes from Whitman's personal confusion for the the Bardic Symbols that he has. He understands that there is no way for him to understand what all the little things in life mean to him and what significance they have. This is why the reader of this poem cannot determine for themselves what the symbols show because even the author says that there is no way to tell what it all means.

No comments:

Post a Comment