Thursday, March 24, 2011

Journal 42 Whitman is my boy.

Once again, Walt Whitman is my boy. I don't even know who would want to read that poetry of Emily Dickinson. I mean really, that girl was crazy. Who's poetry do I want to read... the lady who is reclusive and won't talk to anyone or the guy who's poetry actually has somewhat of a deeper meaning. I either can read about a chick who lost love and felt that society banished her for understanding that there was something wrong with it or about God and his significance in the world. I am not saying that I enjoy being preached to about religion, by no means do I, but I don't mind hearing about it when someone can make the beautiful comparisons that Walt Whitman does. I am not overly religious, but when someone is truly passionate about their beliefs, its not so bad. Also when they can present a new idea about religions that has some philosophical meaning to it, it is even better. The guy came up with a way to say that everyone is God because collectively, humanity is God, so if you break of a part of a whole the part still holds the same characteristics. This means that we are all God. I love when there is a theory like this that can just absolutely blow my mind. Of course no crazy lady that lives by herself could come up with such a brilliant idea such at that. She was too busy being crazy. Although she actually did have some poetic devices and style, the content is more important to me. Overall, Walt Whitman is just a champ and Emily Dickinson is some old crazy lady. If I had to read one of their poetry during the time that they wrote it, I think that the choice is obvious to pick my boy Whitman. Well actually, I'd rather not read poetry at all (or for that matter, read in general), but if I'm going to be reading some, it would be Walt Whitman all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment