Monday, November 15, 2010

Journal 23 Unplugging

I think it would be extremely fun and a great learning experience to "unplug" for a week. Our society is very wired these days and it would be a valuable lesson to separate oneself from all of the technology in the world. I think being away from computers and cell phones would be easy, but I don't know about my iPod. My iPod is one of my most valuable possessions so that would make it very difficult to be separated from it for an extended period of time. To make up for this, I think that I would need a guitar. Music is something that keeps me going in life, and really just keeps me sane overall. I would much enjoy taking the time to completely get rid of all of the wires and electronics in my life for a week, but I know that there are a lot of people in our society that simply could not bare being away from their phones for more than a single day at that. I feel like that is a problem with the world that we live in and there needs to be a way to teach less dependence on technology to get through the average day. If I were to take a week to unplug myself from society, I think that I would do it in Australia. From pictures I have seen, there are some stunning landscapes all throughout the continent. I would make sure to be completely separated from everyone even close to me. Another place that I would want to take my week off to unplug would be Alaska. Now that I think about it, this is actually quite similar to the movie and maybe it was a book, but "Into the Wild." This was quite the interesting film that actually was focused on a guy wanting to get away form society and all of the conformity, similarly to the beliefs of Transcendentalism. Maybe sometime before I leave for college I will separate myself from all of the technology in my life for at least a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment