Monday, November 29, 2010

Mask

I think there are a lot of instances that people wear masks to separate themselves from others in the world. Its hard to tell why people do this, but it seems that at some point or another everyone does it. I think that everyone wears a mask of who they want themselves, well actually rather how they want others to think of them, when they first meet new people. Personally I think that this is a part of human nature because we want to make good first impressions to all of the people that we meet. Maybe we are overcompensating to make up for any false pretenses that may have been thoughts of the new people. One thing that I sometimes do when I meet me people is avoid talking about or showing my intelligence. I am aware that I am pretty smart, but I also know that it can be quite intimidating to talk to someone when you know that they are a lot smarter than you are. This is why I just keep away from showing my intelligence, also because it seems too braggy. It is not really until you have known someone for a while that you start to "take off your mast" and let them see who you really are. It is a lot easier to be yourself around people that you are comfortable with and I believe that it is all a process to get to the point of removing one's "mask." Another time that people wear masks is when they are trying to create a persona that they really don't want to uphold. To me, this is like when I played basketball. It was a huge part of my life and my family really pushed me to do it, but in the end I decided that it wasn't necessarily me so I quite and "removed the mask" of being a basketball player so I could focus more on music.

No comments:

Post a Comment