Sunday, August 22, 2010

All three summer novels

Well I am now done with all three novels for the summer. Overall I think that each had a different impact on me. The Catcher in the Rye has always been one of my favorite books and I would say that is because of my age. It is a novel about the coming of age and is just easy to relate to in this stage of my life. I’m sure that my views on it will change over time and I will have a different perspective on is as a whole. The same concept applies to The Grapes of Wrath as well. I read it and just thought that it was a really depressing story that was very long. I did not really feel like I got a grasp on the message of the novel entirely. But I think that this will change in time as well. My mom told me that she remembered reading it in high school and having the same opinion as me: a long, boring story about nothing really relating to my life. But she then told me that when she read it later in her life and she even read it a just a few years ago as well that it was completely different for her. The entire message of the novel had changed for her and it had a huge impact on her. It was no longer a boring story, but rather something that meant something. I think that I will reach this eventually but right now the story did not really have that much meaning to me. As for The Old Man and the Sea, I thought it was a very good book. It was an extremely quick read and also very easy to understand. I think this novel would also pick up a different meaning for me if I were to read it later in my life. I guess I will have to wait and see how all of these novels change for me over time and as my life changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment