Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tom killed a man

Tom showed a little bit of an evil side in this part of the novel. He killed a man. My saying he killed a man just reminded me of the movie Anchorman. Specifically the part where all of the news crews in the area have a huge battle royal and later they are talking about it and Ron Burgandy says to another man, “you killed a man” in a very funny voice. My apologies, because that is quite off topic but Tom actually did kill a man. He is checking out some commotion he noticed earlier and he comes across the preacher and family friend, Jim Casy. They talk for a while but then some guard like people come over and recognize Jim so they attack him. Tom is enraged by this so he gets the weapon and kills the man that attacked Jim. Now this I found to be quite interesting. I had always thought that Tom like Jim but he really dilled a man for him. This kind of adds some closure to my idea of Jim Casy. When he first entered the story I found that he seemed to be very important to the story. I thought it was clear that he would be in the story and I was upset when he was taken away in the first place. His reappearance made me feel a little bit better about the story. It is said that Tom had already killed a man in his life before. In fact that was how he ended up in prison in the beginning of the story. This part makes me think that he had killed the other man for a reason too. It does not really seem that Tom would just up and kill someone without a reason. That I why I think that when he killed the first man there was most likely justification for that as well as there was for the killing of Jim Casy’s assailant.

No comments:

Post a Comment