Friday, August 20, 2010

"Pleasure on the roads"

All of the migrant farmers are trying to do things to distract them from all of the bad things they are experiencing. This seems like a very normal human thing to do. They tell stories and they make music. Some even have enough extra money to by alcohol, which seems like something that many people would resort to if they could. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Great Depression made a lot of people into alcoholics. One thing that stuck out to me was the very last line of this chapter. It reads, “The migrant people looked humbly for pleasure on the roads.” This seems to completely capture what the people are feeling. If you are in one of the worst situations you could possible experience, you are obviously going to try to distract yourself and detach yourself from the world so that you can forget about the bad things in your life. Making music seems like the best thing that you could possible do. Since the beginning of time music has brought joy to all of the people that listen to it. That is why it is such a good outlet for stress and pain. In fact, a lot of people use music as an outlet for stress now in our time. If I ever feel bad I either find music to listen to that matches my mood or I play music myself. It doesn’t really matter what I play, just the fact that I am making music makes me feel better about a lot of different things and situations. This is exactly what the migrant farmers are doing. The one thing I would say about all of this is that, no matter what the situation is music and storytelling are things that will people will always resort to even in the worst case situation. This chapter is actually kind of happy because the people are doing things that can take their minds off of all of the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment