Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A loss for the family

Things have gotten a lot worse for the Joad family. When they stopped for gas their dog got hit or run over by a car. This is just awful timing because they are already under enough stress and then they lose their pet. I for one would be extremely upset if my dog died even under regular circumstances. Really pets are like members of a family. I would most likely cry if my dog were to die suddenly. Even if it isn’t a sudden and tragic death, I will still most likely cry when my dog dies. When you have a pet that you are around for a long time they really become a major part of your family. As I’m writing this blog, my dog is lying next to me sleeping. Its little things like that you would really miss when a pet dies. Before this happens in the story the family is trying to get gas but the employee at the station says that people have been stopping by with no money. He and Al argue for a while, but it turns out that the attendant at the station has some sympathy for the family. He says that he will bury the dog for them. This is such a nice act for the family since they are so devastated by the death. It is really these rare instances of people showing kindness and compassion that most likely make the trip bearable. It would be so hard to continue on when there is no one that even seems to be showing human emotion. The action of helping bury the dog may have been something that made the family have hopes that things would be alright. It is a situation like this one that showed that there are still people showing human emotions. Up until then, most everyone has been cruel, selfish people that are only looking out for themselves. The death of the dog really was a major part of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment