Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Journal 9 Organized Religion

Organized religion is something that really is a huge part of the world. For the most part, I think that people of America truly believe have the belief that Christianity when really it makes up only a small portion of the entire world population's beliefs. If the world was reduced to 100 people, only 23 would be Christian and the other 77 would be non-Christian. When I heard this fact my mind was blown. It really put the entire concept of religion into perspective for me. Personally I am technically Catholic, but honestly I consider myself to be Agnostic. But it is extremely difficult to grasp the idea that most of the worlds peoples are not in fact of the Christian faith. I think that oftentimes Americans as a whole tend to be very closed off about religion and make themselves believe that Christianity is the powerhouse religion when in fact it is not at all. It seems almost arrogant of the American people to have such an idea, but the majority of North America are Christians. It is everywhere else in the world that makes up most of the worlds population that the other religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, or the many other religions of the world can be found. Some people say that religion prevents violence but in all reality a lot of the tensions throughout nations of the world have a basis of religious disputes. The war for the Holy Land has been going on for years and it still continues today. I think that a lot of this comes from the fear of the unknown. But you can't really blame anyone for that because it is a part of human nature and is something that will always be there in people. Overall though, religion is something that aids in a lot of things in the world. It has brought together cultures and people for thousands of years and it will continue to do so.

2 comments:

  1. You did a very good job of covering several different point about religion as well as the pros and cons was pretty cool. You stayed rpretty neutral throughtout the blog which was good. I sort of wanted to keep reading and was disappointed that it was short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing style is very interesting and you brought up many good topics to make me think about. I also liked the fact that you stayed unbiased throughout the entire blog.

    ReplyDelete